回帖

积分

理事会

积分

翻译组医师组评估组社区居民

QQ
发表于 2007-8-17 11:46:29 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
“This I Believe” by Jane Goodall

“When I was small and dreaming of going to Africa because I was in love with Tarzan, I was jealous of Tarzan’s Jane. I thought she was a wimp and I’d have made a much better mate for Tarzan myself. I wanted to go to Africa and live with animals and write books about them. My mother used to say to me “Jane, if you really want something, and if you really work hard, if you take advantage of the opportunities and if you never give up: you’ll find a way.”

I believe that the study of chimpanzees, while it has taught us a great deal about the place of Chimpanzees in nature, has taught us an equal amount about humans’ place in nature. It’s made us a little humble. It’s certainly made me a little humble because I realize that humans are not the only rational thinking beings on the planet. And that we’re not the only creatures capable of altruism and self-sacrifice. Chimpanzees differ from us genetically in the structure of the DNA by only just over 1%. Chimps can reason, solve problems. They have some idea of the future. And they make plans, and perhaps most importantly are the similarities in the express of emotions. Chimpanzees are so like us that they blur the line once perceived as so sharp between humans on one side and non-human’s on the other. And that leads us to a new respect for all the other amazing non-human beings we share the planet with.

When I suddenly realized the plight of chimpanzees around the world, both in the wild and in captivity, I knew that I must leave my forest paradise – although I do believe I keep some of it inside, the peace of the forest – and travel around the world and try to raise people’s awareness. Not only about the plight of chimpanzees but about the plight of the poor old planet, and ways in which we as human’s need to change to live in greater harmony with the planet. And to try to make people realize what they do as individuals truly makes a difference. I believe very strongly that it’s desperately important that children be taught to be respectful of all life.

I believe that the most important message to all humanity is that every single individual matters, including non-humans. Every single one of us has a role to play in this life. And every single one of us can make a difference. This I believe.”

QUESTIONS:

1.   What cartoon character did Jane Goodall mention she doesn’t like?_______________

2.   Did her mother support her dreams of going to Africa?_______________________

3.   List three things chimpanzees and humans have in common:

1._________________________________________________________________

2._________________________________________________________________

3._________________________________________________________________

4.   What does Jane Goodall so strongly believe?________________________________

This I Believe handout.doc

27 KB, 下载次数: 0, 下载积分: 绿豆 -2 个

h-a-r-m-o-n-y 更加热爱生命并愿意为它们的继续生存承担职责是人类天性中最真实的一部分 ~来这里留一下你们社团组织的生日,咱们建一个生日表~ ~naturaller的济溪blog~
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册 微信登录

本版积分规则

小黑屋|手机版|济溪 ( 京ICP备17053947号-1 )

GMT+8, 2024-10-2 10:29 , Processed in 0.029327 second(s), 29 queries .