水滴

积分

认知组

QQ
发表于 2007-11-23 01:05:43 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
Planting the seeds of peace
Joshua Wickerham

November 22, 2007
After decades spent in the forests of Africa studying chimpanzees, British biologist Jane Goodall now travels the world, spreading a message of peace and care for the environment. Interview by Joshua Wickerham."Making people aware is step one, and making people aware of what the options are is step two."

——————————————————————————
After decades in the forests of Africa leading pioneering studies on chimpanzees, famed British biologist Jane Goodall now travels more than 300 days of the year promoting care for people, animals and the environment. The Dame of the British Empire sat down with chinadialogue to discuss her work in China with the youth education program Roots & Shoots, which she founded in Tanzania in 1991. Here, she talks about working for peace; fairly traded coffee; Chinese hero biologists; and what it means to have your biography in Chinese school textbooks.

chinadialogue: On September 21, you were in New York in your role as United Nations Messenger of Peace. What does this position mean to you, and how do you use it to promote peace?

Jane Goodall: I was invited to be a Messenger of Peace because of Roots & Shoots. Roots & Shoots is very much about breaking down the barriers that we build between people of different cultures and religions – and between us and the natural world. I actually was planting seeds of global peace.

cd: You also lead and take part in the Roots & Shoots Day of Peace, where people fly giant homemade doves and ring bells made from recycled weapons to celebrate peace.

JG: We hope that Roots & Shoots Day of Peace is being celebrated in at least 50 countries of the world, if not more. There were giant doves flown by many groups in many parts of the world: up mountains; on the oceans; at tops of tall buildings – you name it. We want lots of people involved in celebrating the universal yearning for peace that is shared all around the world.

cd: Your next book is about scientists who almost single-handedly saved animals from the brink of extinction. What do you hope to tell people by writing this book?

JG: I hope this book will provide people with inspiration and hope. Some of the stories are so extraordinary. With one species of bird, the black robin of New Zealand, there were five individuals, but only one female. Most people said: “Oh, give up. This bird is extinct.” There are now more than 500. It is plants as well, and the heroic efforts that have gone into saving a tree species that was reduced to just one individual.

cd: Can you tell us about any Chinese hero biologists?

JG: One hero, Wang Fengwu, works with the giant pandas – he always says breeding in captivity is all very well, but none of it is any use unless we protect the habitat. Another hero almost single-handedly saved the red crested ibis, which was down to about nine individuals.

cd: The Beijing branch of Roots & Shoots was started in 1994, and you’ve been making annual trips to mainland China since 1998. Many in the west are not hopeful about the prospects for improving the environment in China. Do you know something they don’t?

JG: There’s a new understanding of the fact that it is necessary to protect the environment; that it will lead to increasing social unrest if the environment continues to be polluted, especially China’s rivers. The effects of deforestation and soil erosion – not only the loss of soil, but the terrible dust storms – all these have come together to make the government understand that it is necessary to protect the environment. It’s not easy to do. It’s such a big country. I’m only aware of the fact that the government is trying.

The other sign of hope is that young people are very receptive to this message. Many of the ordinary general public in China are desperately aware of the situation. They really want to do something to help. They’re anguished about it. And the young people are, as everywhere, rolling up their sleeves, getting out there, and taking action through the Roots & Shoots programme.

cd: Roots & Shoots was the first foreign-affiliated non governmental organisation (NGO) to be officially registered by any Chinese NGO Administration Bureau. Why do you think that is?

JG: The second year I was in China, I was summoned by the State Environmental Protection Administration (SEPA) vice minister, Pan Yue. He spoke no English, but we had meeting where I was able to explain to him about Roots & Shoots. I think I caught his attention by demonstrating to him how a chimpanzee female greets a high ranking male – and it made him laugh. We talked for an hour and a half. He asked me to put the Roots & Shoots programme in the schools. I think one of the reasons is that it was very clear to officials that Roots & Shoots was actually helping them achieve their goals of greening the city, and preparing for the Olympics.

cd: Can you update us about your fair trade coffee products?

JG: That is extremely exciting. Coffee grows extremely well around [Tanzania’s] Gombe National Park in the high hills. The farmers were not making money because there is no infrastructure. They were selling to a middleman who lumped their coffee with the less good coffee. We went in with Green Mountain coffee roasters and farmers last year and got a higher price than they’ve ever had.

cd: Do you think Chinese consumers will be able to buy these fair trade products?

JG: Eventually, but what I think is far better is that we are talking with Green Mountain to use a “Take Care” model—improving the lives of villagers in as many ways as possible, in ways that they believe is best. We want to replicate this around other wilderness areas that desperately need protection to help the people who are living in poverty, and who are destroying the environment simply to survive and grow crops.  

This would mean seeking out places like Haiti, for example, where they could grow good coffee. They’ve got the right climate and the right soil, and they can use that to try to regenerate the devastated Haitian environment. We’re going to see if that can take the place of Fair Trade.

cd: You’re a face that consumers can trust.

JG: Well, hopefully, yes. I haven’t done anything to make them mistrust me.

cd: Some consumers are willing to pay more for fair trade.

JG: Some people are willing to pay more and do, but there’s a limit to the number of people who can afford to do that.

cd: Despite growing environmental awareness in China, purchases often conflict with that awareness. Young Chinese consumers express concern about pollution caused by cars, but most admit they would like to buy a car when they get the disposable income to do so.

JG: Well, that’s the problem, matching up what you think with what you do.

cd: What’s your advice?

JG: Just hammer away. Are you just going to be one more polluter? Is there something else you can possibly do? In the UK and Europe, people are turning to bicycles. Executives are bicycling to work. There are also congestion charges in London. It’s very complex and there is no easy solution, but making people aware is step one. Making people aware of what the options are is step two. Whether they can afford those options or choose to go for them, it’s going to be an individual situation.

cd: What does it mean for Chinese people now that China is set to become the biggest emitter of CO2?

JG: Well, what has it meant in the US, which still is the biggest emitter so far? They would much rather that someone else paid the cost. I have no idea what that means to the Chinese people. It’s easy for a young person with no money to rail against it, but as they get money they are probably going to become one of the consumers – and one of the polluters. Meanwhile, we have to fightfor a carbon trading scheme to save the remaining forests. At least let’s capitalise on the pollution, while finding ways of doing things with less pollution. Let’s at least make people pay to save the forests.

cd: A generation of Chinese school children has grown up reading about you in their textbooks. How does that make you feel? What kinds of situations has it put you in? Has it given you any special opportunities?

JG: It gives me huge opportunities because kids want to listen – and adults too. They love learning about the chimpanzees. They want to meet me. They see me as someone quite strange, somebody who has been living out in the forest with big black apes. They find that fascinating. Once you have an audience fascinated, then if you do it right, then you talk to them about other issues, other important issues of the day, and you find them listening. You can engage people who come to listen to you. It’s very useful – surprising to me – but useful.

Joshua Wickerham works in Beijing as a research assistant for AccountAbility. He is also a masters degree degree candidate at the University of California San Diego's School of International Relations and Pacific Studies. He can be reached at joshua.wickerham [at] gmail.com.

—————转自中外对话http://www.chinadialogue.net/art ... -the-seeds-of-peace

主题

回帖

积分

水滴

积分

认知组

QQ
 楼主| 发表于 2007-11-23 01:08:09 | 显示全部楼层
播种和平的种子
约书亚•威克汉姆

2007年11月22日
英国生物学家珍•古道尔曾经在非洲的丛林中花了几十年研究黑猩猩,现在她在全世界到处游历,传播和平与关爱自然的信息。约书亚•威克汉姆对她进行了采访。“提高人们的认识是第一步,第二步是让人们认识到有什么可选择的做法。”

珍·古道尔曾经在非洲的丛林中花了几十年研究黑猩猩,现在这位著名的英国生物学家每年有超过300天的时间在旅行,到处宣传对人、动物和环境的关注。这位获得大英帝国女爵士称号的女士接受了中外对话的采访,谈论“根与芽”在中国的工作,这个青年教育项目是她1991年在坦桑尼亚创立的。在访谈中,珍·古道尔谈到了很多问题,包括致力于和平的工作;咖啡的公平贸易;杰出的中国生物学家;以及她的传记出现在中国课本中的意义。

中外对话(以下简称中):9月21日,您在纽约接受了联合国和平大使的任命。这个职位对您意味着什么,您又将如何利用它来推动和平呢?

珍·古道尔(以下简称古):我是因为“根与芽”而被邀请担任和平大使的。“根与芽”的目的是打破我们在不同文化和地域的人们之间筑起的障碍,打破我们与自然世界之间的障碍。我的确在播种全球和平的种子。

中:您还领导并参加了“根与芽和平日”活动,人们放飞巨大的自制和平鸽,敲响用回收武器制作的钟来庆祝和平。

古:我们希望如果不是超过至少能在50个国家庆祝根与芽和平日。有许多多团体在世界许多地方放飞了巨大的和平鸽,在山间、在海上、在高层建筑之巅,在任何一个你想得到的地方。我们希望越来越多的人能加入到这个活动中来,祈愿全世界共享的和平。

中:您的下一本书是关于一些科学家的,他们几乎只凭着一己之力把动物从灭绝的边缘挽救回来。您希望通过这本书告诉人们什么呢?

古:我希望通过这本书给人们带来启示和希望。其中一些故事实在非同寻常。比如,在鸟类里有一种新西兰黑色知更鸟,仅存5个个体,而雌鸟只有一只。大部人都说:“唉,放弃吧,这种鸟类灭绝了。”然而现在它们的数量已经超过500只了。植物也一样,人们已经在努力拯救一个只剩下一株的树种。

中:您能告诉我们一些中国杰出生物学家的故事吗?

古:其中一位杰出人物是大熊猫专家王凤武(音),他常说圈养繁育固然很好,但如果不保护栖息地的话就毫无用处。另一位杰出人物几乎凭借一己之力挽救了朱鹮,当时的种群已经锐减到了9只。

中: “根与芽”于1994年开始在中国发展,1998年以来您每年都要到中国大陆来。西方有许多人都对中国环境改善的前景不抱希望。您是否掌握了一些他们不知道的信息呢?

古:现在人们已经有了新的认识,认识到必须保护环境这一事实,认识到继续污染环境将会导致社会不安定因素的增加,特别是中国河流的污染。森林破坏和土壤侵蚀(不仅是土壤流失,还有可怕的沙尘暴)的影响一起袭来,让政府明白保护环境的必要。国家那么大,做到这一点并不容易。我只知道一个事实,就是中国政府正在努力。

其它的希望迹象在于年轻人对这个信息的良好感应。中国的许多普通公众都对现状很清楚。他们对此感到十分焦虑,确实想助上一臂之力。和其他地方一样,中国的年轻人都摩拳擦掌,通过“根与芽”项目来采取行动。

中:“根与芽”是第一个在中国非政府机构管理局正式注册的外国NGO,您认为其中的原因何在?

古:在来中国的第二年,我被国家环保总局副局长潘岳召见。在会晤中我向他介绍“根与芽”的情况, 演示了一只雌性黑猩猩如何向地位高的雄性打招呼。潘副局长被逗笑了。我想这吸引了他的注意力。我们谈了一个半小时,他让我把“根与芽”项目放在学校里来推行。我认为其中的一个原因就是官员们很明白,“根与芽”的确有助于他们实现绿化城市、备战奥运的目标。

中:能告诉我们您的公平贸易咖啡产品的最新进展吗?

古:情况非常喜人。咖啡在(坦桑尼亚)冈贝国家公园的高山上长得极好,农民们之所以挣不到钱,是因为当地没有基础设施。他们把咖啡卖给中间商,而中间商把他们的咖啡与不太好的咖啡混在一起。去年我们和绿山咖啡豆烘烤公司以及农民协作,获得了他们从未有过的高价。

中:您认为中国消费者能买到这些公平贸易的产品吗?

古:逐渐会的吧。但我认为更好的是我们正在和“绿山”探讨采用一种“照顾”模式,即采取尽可能多的方式来改善村民的生活,采取那些他们认为最好的方式。我们打算在其他偏僻地区照此实施,这些地区的人们亟需帮助,他们生活在贫困中,破坏环境仅仅是为了生存和种植庄稼。

这意味着要找出可以种植咖啡的地方,比如海地。那里的气候土壤都很适宜,人们可以利用咖啡种植恢复被破坏的环境。我们正准备考察能否在海地实施公平贸易。

中:您的形象是消费者可以信赖的。

古:嗯,希望如此。我从未做过任何破坏他们对我信任的事情。

中:一些消费者愿意为公平贸易付出更多金钱。

古:一些人愿意付更多钱,而且这么做了。但有能力做到这一点的人的数量是有限的。

中:尽管中国的环境意识在增强,但购买常常与意识发生冲突。年轻的中国消费者们表达了对汽车所引起污染的关注,但大多数人承认只要有足够的收入,他们还是想买一辆汽车。

古:是的,这是个问题,如何做到知行一致。

中:那您有什么建议吗?

古:只要不懈努力就行了。你打算成为另一个污染者吗?能不能找到其他的做法呢?在英国和欧洲,人们重新骑上了自行车,连总裁都骑车上班。伦敦还实行了进城费。问题很复杂,并不容易解决,但提高人们的认识是第一步,第二步是让人们认识到有什么可选择的做法。至于他们是否有能力实现这些选择,或者是否选择实行,则是个人的问题了。

中:中国将成为最大的二氧化碳排放国,这对中国人民意味着什么?

古:迄今为止美国仍然是最大的排放国,这对它又意味着什么呢?他们宁可让别人来承担代价。我不知道这对中国人民意味着什么。一个没钱的年轻人很容易反对排放,但当他有了钱,则容易成为消费者以及污染者之一。同时,我们必须努力建立碳贸易计划来拯救剩余的森林。至少实现给污染定价,同时寻找用较低的污染来做事的途径;至少让人们出钱来拯救森林。

中:这一代的中国学龄儿童正读着课本中您的传记成长。对此您有什么感受?你处于一种怎样的状况下?是不是给您带来了什么特别的机会呢?

古:这给我带来了巨大的机会,因为孩子们愿意倾听,大人们也愿意。他们喜欢听黑猩猩的故事,他们希望见到我,把我看成一个很奇怪的人,一个一直离群索居在森林里和大黑类人猿住在一起的人。他们觉得这引人入胜。一旦你让讲座变得引人入胜,接下来只要做法正确,你就能跟他们谈其他的事情,其他当今很重要的事情,你会发现他们在倾听。你可以成功地让人们来倾听你的讲述。这非常有用,我很吃惊,但真的有用。

作者简介:约书亚·威克汉姆,现在北京担任“责任”咨询机构的研究助手,同时在加州大学圣地亚哥分校国际关系和太平洋研究学院攻读硕士学位。他的电子邮箱为:joshua.wickerham[at] gmail.com。

——————转自中外对话http://www.chinadialogue.net/art ... -the-seeds-of-peace

主题

回帖

积分

溪流

积分

社区居民

QQ
发表于 2007-11-23 10:08:18 | 显示全部楼层
还好有翻译~~
要好好学英语了 [s:69]
走过许多山山水水,才发现自己想要的是改变,怕的也是.
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册 微信登录

本版积分规则

小黑屋|手机版|济溪 ( 京ICP备17053947号-1 )

GMT+8, 2024-10-3 08:21 , Processed in 0.041250 second(s), 26 queries .